I hope when you’re asked to mention many things that you love.. you mention yourself.
I’ve been big on “self-love” for quite sometime now. Lately, I feel like God has been showing and putting certain people in my path that lack so much confidence in themselves. As a result of having no confidence, the characteristic of low self-esteem makes itself present. And sometimes people who struggle with low self-esteem are also some of the same ones that struggle horribly with depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. I mean, there are other things that trigger those kinds of emotions but I’m also aware that self-esteem plays a big role in it.
My heart goes out to people dealing and struggling with those kinds of issues. It hurts me to see people really feel like they don’t belong here, like they don’t even deserve life at all due to the lack of self love. Some even struggle to love themselves because of things that have happened in the past but I just want to let you know that you don’t have to stay in bondage because of your past. Free yourself from it. Your past does not define where you are going. Your past does not determine who are. You are who GOD says you are!! You are not what the enemy says you are!
When you learn to establish and develop a loving relationship with yourself, you set the tone for every other relationship in your life.
So I figured today I could share a few ways that I personally practice self-love myself! Self-Love has become a daily thing for me. Because I’m constantly practicing it, my confidence and self-esteem stays about where it needs to be for the most part.
- Forgive yourself. You are always allowed to start over and show up for yourself in the best way. Work on forgiving yourself for the bigger stuff.
- Spend time with Jesus in prayer.
- Look in the mirror everyday and speak positive affirmations to yourself. “I am amazing; I am enough; I am beautiful; I am worthy of love and healing. My life serves a purpose.. even when it doesn’t feel good!”
- Love the skin you’re in!
- Be nice to yourself! You will never speak to anyone else as much as you to speak to yourself in your own head.. so be nice! Make sure you’re saying the right things.
- Don’t compare yourself or your journey to others.
- C E L E B R A T E your highs! Celebrate your success and each milestone you reach! If don’t nobody else celebrate you, then YOU make time to celebrate YOURSELF!
- Accept that some people won’t like you.
- Say “NO” when you need to.
- Know your strengths and use them to your advantage!
- Practice gratitude daily.
- Allow yourself some down time. “Rest Days” are just as important as the working ones!
- Take care of your body.
- Take mental breaks when you really need them so you can dodge the bullet of having a mental breakdown.
- Try to stay surrounded by positive, upbeat and fun people who are at the same time striving to reach their goals like you!
There are so many different ways to practice self love and self care but again these are just a few that I personally try to do daily and keep in the back of my mind. Indeed, I know perfectly well all my positive and negative sides and I accept them. Just because I’m practicing self-love everyday doesn’t mean I’m not still working on improving myself. Lord knows I am truly a work in progress! Loving yourself doesn’t mean that you should ever stop working on YOU though. It just helps you to realize that you are the only one with your unique traits, qualities and potentialities. It gives a great sense of confidence. It really does. When you love who you are, you accept who you are.